Resolving Your Violation

Follow the Directions on Your Citation

The first step to resolving your violation is to read the instructions on your citation. The citation contains a lot of information on how to resolve your citation. (If you are a Juvenile, see the Youth Offenders page for resolving a violation.)

Entering a Plea

Remember only the person who received the citation can enter a plea to the citation. You have three plea options to choose from:

  1. No contest (nolo contendere): A plea of no contest means that you do not contest the violation filed against you and you are waiving your right to a trial by judge or jury.
  2. Guilty: By entering a plea of guilty you admit that the act is prohibited by law, that you committed the act charged, and that you are waiving your right to a trial by judge or jury. When you enter a "no contest" plea, you may:
    1. Pay the fine specified for the violation
    2. Request driving safety course
    3. Request deferred disposition
  3. Not guilty: A plea of not guilty means that you are informing the court that you deny guilt to the violation in which you were accused. When you enter a plea of not guilty to any violation, you will be set for docket. Please inform the court of your correct and current mailing address.

Failure to Appear

If you fail to make a plea for each violation shown on your citation, a warrant may be issued for your arrest.