Zoning Subdivision Regulation & Sign Revisions Project
Subdivision Ordinance - Draft
The purposes of the Subdivision Ordinance are to:
- Ensure that new development is consistent with the City’s Comprehensive Plan;
- Provide for the harmonious development of the City and its extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) by properly aligning all existing and planned streets along with other necessary municipal infrastructure;
- Promote the health, safety, morals, and general welfare of the community;
- Provide adequate provision for traffic, light, air, recreation, transportation, water, drainage, sewage and other facilities;
- To the maximum extent permitted by Texas law, ensure that development is compatible with and properly integrated into existing and future neighborhoods;
- Assure that facilities to be accepted and maintained by the City are properly located and constructed;
- Ensure that subdivisions and subdivision improvements are designed to:
- Reduce potential impacts on street congestion by;
Providing alternative travel routes;
Promoting alternative modes of transportation; and
Lessening overall vehicle miles traveled.
2. Promote the orderly layout and use of land.
3. Secure safety from fire and other dangers;
4. Protect groundwater and surface water resources from contamination; and
5. Facilitate adequate infrastructure development for neighborhood schools, parks, and playgrounds.
Zoning Ordinance - Draft
The purposes of this Zoning Ordinance and the continued presence of zoning within the city limits are to:
- Promote and protect the health, safety, comfort, convenience, prosperity and general welfare of the citizens of Plainview by assuring quality development and allowing for proper economic growth which conforms to the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Promote the stability of existing land uses that conform with the City’s Comprehensive Plan and protect these uses from unharmonious influences and harmful intrusions;
- Promote a harmonious, convenient, workable relationship among land uses;
- Encourage quality development through effective planning which utilizes modern innovations of urban design;
- Promote and protect the aesthetic quality of the city, by conserving and enhancing the taxable values of land and buildings throughout the city;
- Protect and enhance areas of scenic, historic or cultural importance;
- Provide adequate light and air;
- Encourage proper population densities and prevent the overcrowding of structures;
- Provide adequate protection for community investments in water, sewer, streets, schools, parks, and other community facilities;
- Promote a safe, effective traffic circulation system;
- Provide safety from fire and other dangers;
- Regulate the intensity of the use of lot areas;
- Establish setback lines designed for all districts;
- Fix standards to which buildings or structures shall conform;
- Prohibit uses, buildings, or structures incompatible with the character of such districts; and
- Provide for the gradual elimination of nonconforming uses of land, buildings and structures.
If you have questions or would like to submit comments on the proposed drafts, please contact Jeffrey Snyder, City Manager at (806) 296-1106 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.